Saturday, April 12, 2008

Hanami 2k8


Hanami is the activity / hobby / cultural institution of watching cherry blossoms as they bloom. There are websites dedicated to keeping track of how far along the flowers are. They go from buds to full blooming in about a week depending on the weather, species, and location, so you have to keep close track if you want to go on the right day. Then it is suddenly over. Last weekend, the flowers were either full or nearly so, and this weekend they are in decline. I did this year's hanami and the old imperial palace grounds and in the mountains to the east. Megan and I ate donuts and drank coffee while checking out the weeping cherry blossom trees at the palace grounds, and I went during the week in the evening to watch the blossoms in full bloom. Because it was the evening the temple had equipped the place with strategically placed lights of different colors. It was all very well done and simply surreal. Unfortunately my camera takes crap for pictures at night so I can't show you (that's right, I am blaming it on the camera).


This picture is the last viewable one I could get before it got too dark. I have about a dozen more, but they look sort like I took pictures of the memories of a drunk person. Which is really too bad because the scene was truly amazing. Take my word for it. In other news, I have become a wholehearted supporter of genetically modified foods. Why? Efficiency. Why eat one strawberry at a time when I can eat between 6 -8 at time. Observe:

2 comments:

Zara said...

Sorry, you were asking about these:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e174/dursula3/Mom%20visits/kinki238.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e174/dursula3/Mom%20visits/kinki240.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e174/dursula3/Mom%20visits/kinki237.jpg

(it won't let me post them in the comments).

-Z

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.